all in one year (Or, Ernalda Hates Me, This I Know)

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 23:35:05 -0400

All in one year (5 consecutive seasons, not a calendar year):
-my Ernaldan with Heroic leadership died on the first screen of the Feed
the tribe quest (this isn't all bad, actually, as I figure she's blocking my clan chief from benefitting from the Heroes magic)--my second consecutive heroquest failure
-Ernalda cursed the clan for not protecting the women's huts, by
withdrawing the women's fertility (no babies)--Note this was due to an event, over which I had NO control
-a continuing drought could not be broken by sacrificing to Heler OR the
O&A quest; dozens or hundreds of cows died
-I had to promise favors to two clans for crossing their tulas, even though
there was no reason to cross their tulas
-the game penalized me for attacking clans that paid me tribute, even
though the fact that one paid tribute was not shown on the Raid screen (they had stopped and been reminded, I found by looking back at the saga) and with the other the 2 year truce had expired
-several messages told me that I was short on carls, even though I'm not
-I lost weaponthanes on every raid, and whilst defending against wimpy
attackers
-the "take on new weaponthanes as they become available" choice netted me 1
weaponthane
-no one has traded me cows in 5 years, so at least I didn't have to waste
time trying (what's up with THAT?)
-I picked up a new feud
-I had to kick my trickster off the ring for insulting someone
-I abandoned my "no quitting without saving" rule, which in turn causes me
to question the playability of the game. It took me weeks to lose this game; my enthusiasm for starting a new clan with 1 or 2 temples is zilch. I haven't decided whether to restore, or when to restore to.