RE: Thrall Children

From: Douglas Seay <dms+egroups_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 15:18:00 -0400

> Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 17:43:29 -0400
> From: "Niki Karras" <NKarras_at_...>
> Subject: Thrall Children
>
> If thrall's children are free, who raises them?

IMG a child is the social status of the higher parent (unusual circumstances not withstanding), so a child is only a thrall if both parents were thralls. Of course, adults can "earn" thralldom too, but that isn't the issue here.

> Are they raised as thralls and then freed at adulthood,
> or are they raised away from their thrall parents?

To be honest, I don't see too much difference between a carl and a thrall in terms of day-to-day living. Sartarite conditions don't have lots of luxuries, so anyone not at the top works real hard all the time. From what little I know of US slavery, most slaves not on big plantations lived about as well as the owners, because all of them were "poor". The difference was mostly political (who made the decisions) and who got the dangerous and/or unpleasant jobs (notice the relation between the two).

> Can a thrall marry a free person?

Yep. In KoS there are 7 ways to get married. Expect the thrall to be the under-spouce, or even an Esrolian husband. Maybe a bed-spouce or a love-spouce would work too (I've never really thought about that before). Forgive me if I've gotten this wrong, I don't have KoS here at work.

In general, both sides give gifts, and the thrall would have little to give (not "nothing" because Orlanthi are big on gift giving, so the thrall should have accumulated something over the years). This means that the thrall would have to have something exceptional to offer (good skill with the cows, poetry, already knocked her up, etc) to "marry up" as it were.

I also expect the non-thrall's family to petition that the thrall is freed, but that is getting beyond your question.

FWIW you may wish to direct this to the glorantha digest (glorantha_at_...) as it is more of a general Orlanthi/Heortling/Sartarite question, and less of a KoDP questions.