Re: Problems in clan

From: Barry Brenesal <jaspire_at_...>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 16:56:28 -0000

> >Play nicely now...
>
> *sigh*
>
> Did that really sound offensive to you? I didnt mean it to be
offensive or
> anything. More like a minor teasing, nothing more. Do I really have
> put a smiley so that people will understand jokes?

Well, actually, Kaj, since you asked nicely...

"Shut up" isn't considered witty, Noel Coward-type amusement. It means, simply, "I'm ordering you to shut your mouth." It's an intentionally rude, abrasive phrase in any culture I can think of: fighting words in French, Spanish, German, Russian, or English. I can think of only one instance (in a short story by the great Ring Lardner) where "Shut up" was used humorously, and that was because it was the mildest thing an abusive husband could think to ever say to his wife. Judge from that.

> And since when has 'shut up' been a bad thing to say? Do I have to
say
> 'Thou shalst hold thy mouth closed' from now on? ;-)

No; but you might consider why you find it necessary to tell anybody who differs in their opinion from you to shut their mouth. Facts are a matter of content seen in perspective; and other perspectives add to our awareness of our own limited views. My comments on KoDP are based upon playing the long game successfully several times, on the average and hard levels. Having a different experience than mine neither invalidates my comments, nor yours.

If you can accept this, perhaps you won't have to wonder how many ways you can euphemistically find to tell others to shut up.