Re: I did it!

From: Edward Bornstein <button_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 06:09:27 -0500

><de-lurking for self-indulging praise>

Boasting is probably an Orlanthi virtue.

>...this probably shows what skill I have in Playing Computer Games,
>but 2 months after buying KoDP, I finally won the Short Game! Hooray!
>I had an Ernaldan queen and no Trickster on the Ring, but it went
>smoothly anyway. Better catch a few hours sleep before attempting the
>Long game, though... ;)

Congrats!

>BTW, does anyone know if the difficulty of a HQ is affected by what
>kind of benefit you seek from it? Got the idea after reading some HQ
>stuff on the 'Net and it got me wondering.

IMHO most definitely.

My impression is that the easiest goals are the "Make the quester stronger" ones. (In practice at least 75% of my HQs are this one, since a stronger quester has a better chance of succeeding next time.)

One of the hardest goals is the "Gain a magical treasure".

The ones to give you a general bonus in the relevant area seem to be mid-range in difficulty.

The "End a drought", peace bomb, etc. goals tend to be hard, but there seems to be a bonus if it's the right time for it, i.e. you had an event give the HQ as an option.

In general, the more people the goal effects, the harder it is.

Remember that each quest also a general benefit besides the named one, see your manual.

My take on the difficulty of the quests, Easiest to hardest:

Ernalda
Storm Tribe
Orlanth vs. Aroka
Humakt
Issaries
Lhankor Mhy
Chalana
Uralda
Elmal

Your magic pointage may vary.....

My question (which I may have asked before) is if it is possible to get back to the Heroquest track after getting lost in the realm of the gods or is getting home safely the best you can hope for?

--
Once is happenstance.
Twice is coincidence.