Backpacking in the Godsplane with Canadian Orlanthi: - Bad Idea

From: Thomas McVey <tmcvey_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:08:57 -0800

> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Foreign Orlanthi Event?
>
> I've never ended up sending people with them, in fact
> I never seem to manage to give them much help, despite
> good intentions.

(Spoilers):

I've had the event come up twice in this game (I did the wimpy restore-from-previous saved game when a favorite noble of mine got creamed in a battle just before sacred time, so I couldn't resurrect him).

If you mention Kero Fin to them, you get a treasure (Kero Fin ice, preserves food). You then can make another choice

If you exchange myths, your godtalkers get peeved because their myths are different, and you lose clan magic.

> If they are in the underworld but not through the
> usual route, I wonder if they could have performed
> part of the light bringers quest?

I think that's what's happening.

> I'd keep playing,
> if they come back it should be a glorious thing
> indeed!

Mmmm. Though I got the message "their sacrifice has increased our clan magic", so I think they're dead. I'll keep playing though, so I can see what happens. I might even restore a previous game and see if the randomizer gives me a different result. It would be cool to have a clan led by a successful Lightbringers Quester!

I'm skeptical whether they could be successful though. Those foreign Orlanthi believe all kinds of weird things about Issaries and Ernalda. Can't see them being successful in the LBQ if they don't believe Issaries is in the Storm Tribe. I think they're the Heortling equivalent of Canadians.

To change the topic a little, I'm playing the "Easter Egg" game (the one you get to my pressing "o" in the startup screen). I've no idea what difficulty it's at (easy, medium or hard) or whether it's the long or short game. Lots of events happened to me I hadn't seen before - the foreign Orlanthi, and the Colymar tribe trying to extort from me (I ended up joining their tribe, and now my lawspeaker is the King - wo-hoo!).

I had a bunch of trickers give me a Motion Rune Banner, and they made some prophecies that made me think I was playing the long game (make peace with the wolves, marry a horse), but now Einen-thingy the White-Eyed prophet has shown up with the Ten-Year ring. So am I playing the short game? Or some mixture of the two?

It's interesting, anyway. Next on the agenda, find those damn elusive dwarves, and find where Snakepipe Hollow is (using surplus Ernaldans for that mission, of course, rather than valuable Issarions or Vingans).

Tom