Re: Similarities: KoDP and Koei or other games

From: Thomas McVey <tmcvey_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 17:40:30 -0800

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:43:46 -0500
> From: Ernest Devore <edevore_at_...>
> Subject: RE: Similarities: KoDP & Genghis Khan II
>
> KOEI was the undisputed champion of strategy games according to many fans.

Yup. Even the really old stuff. The game that KoDP reminded me most of was Bandit Kings of Ancient China. Castles: Siege and Conquest was also had some common elements (e.g. the random events).

> The countless hours I spent on Romance of the Three Kingdoms surpasses both
> KODP and the Civilization series. Now to be fair, KODP was much smaller in
> scope (a few scattered villages) instead of a huge country and the tactical
> combat is non-existent.

In fairness to A-sharp, I think they made the right decision for where to place their resources. There are so many good tactical games out there, that anything A-sharp would have done would burn up a lot of dollars and still suffer in comparison to the Warcraft clones.

Given KoDP is single-player, the AI would also have been a serious problem. I like Lords of the Realm 2 (which reminds me of KoDP in certain aspects), but the tactical combat in it is fun but too easy. It would have also almost certainly buggered the cross-platform release, which as a Mac user I feel strongly about. I'm glad A-Sharp focused on strong writing, plot and art.

Now, if you could combine KoDP with Myth, now that would be something...

Hmm...has anybody written any Gloranthan scenarios for the other, inferior, computer fantasy games? Like HOMM 2/3 or Myth or Warcraft 2?

Tom