Re: KoDP & Koei; Set encounters; History Filter

From: Thomas McVey <tmcvey_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 09:21:49 -0800

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:19:03 -0700
> From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
> Subject: Re: KoDP & Koei; Set encounters; History Filter
>
> Timi wrote
>
> > Has anyone else noticed the similarities with few KOEI games as
> > Genghis Khan II and the great Romance of the 3 Kingdoms series.
> >
> > I wonder if the GK2 has been giving any inspiration when
> > developing the Kodp. It would not be any shame to Kodp if it would
> > turn out so...
>
> I have never played any Koei game.

This surprised me. Parallel evolution, I guess.

> My biggest influence on KoDP was probably Castles, where the idea for
> the crisis management scenes comes from.

Though there's a lot more in KoDP, and they're more influential on the game. And they string together into plots (Thadart just hoodwinked the Tusk Riders into staying away from our Tula - woo hoo!)

> To some degree, KoDP is a reaction to what I *didn't* like about
> other computer games.

Err, like the rotten writing and zero plot in most computer games? (not just in strategy games, but RPGs as well)

> Bryan
>
> > I'm familiar with set encounters in the following areas
>
> Most of the exploration areas have only one illustrated encounter,
> but do have multiple other results if you explore them again.

Hmm. If you don't find the back door to the Dwarves on the first encounter, is there any chance of finding it again?

> Thomas
>
> > Now, if you could combine KoDP with Myth, now that would be something...
>
> That was my thinking. We were sort of waiting for someone else to
> fund the tactical sub-game...

Wise choice. A bad implementation on the tactical game would unbalance it. Even if you had a good interface on the tactical game, it'd be hard to keep game balance.

Incidentally, Greg Stafford mentioned at Dundracon that there were other plans in the works, now that A-Sharp/Issaries can point to a finished computer game productproduct. Any details or nibbles yet, or does KoDP have to shift more units before that can happen?

Tom