Re: other gloranthan computer games

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 17:24:57 -0000

David Dunham wrote:

> When Sandy Petersen worked at id, the idea of Doom set in Dorastor
> certainly was bandied about (though not to my knowledge by anyone
in
> the game industry).

Quake did have a bit of a chthulu feel to it :)

> At one time, there was a Dragon Pass (the military boardgame) being
> converted; I don't think it was ever finished.

Quite an obvious contender for inspiration as is Nomad Gods. The missing third part Masters of Luck and Death however also sounds like a good source of inspiration. AFAIK in MOLAD you tried to become the next candidate for pharoah, perhaps a Myst style game might be possible from it (though it would need some combat resoloution as well)

> Lots of people have suggested a Praxian variant of KoDP.

Not a bad idea.

> I have notes for a board game set in Peloria just after the Great
> Darkness, where you go around awakening gods. Not sure how easily
it
> could be adapted for the computer.

Certainly a bit different.

> And some ideas for a God Learner game that could only be
implemented
> on a computer.

Intriguing, able to reveal more or is it under wraps.

> Most people who license engines do so with the expectation that
they
> will make significant technical -- and genre -- changes.

And I was less worried about the cost than the idea - that there seems no reason why Glorantha is not just a capable an environment for supporting this kind of game; though whether AD&D is involved in these projects because people want the background or the brand name is probably the kicker as I suspect it is the latter and that Glorantha does not have the same visibility (maybe in a brave new world...)

I guess one of the key points is the difference between games that are uniquely glornathan and those that could be easily done in any generic fantasy setting.

Ian