Re: Re: More on Marriage

From: Edward Bornstein <button_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:48:46 -0500

Thomas McVey wrote:
> David Dunham wrote:
>> Thomas McVey wrote
>>
>> >If women always marry outside the clan, wouldn't there then be a
>> >disincentive for the clan to put a bunch of resources into educating
>> >them or training them?
>>
>> I think your has nothing to do with what clan women belong to, but
>> rather where they end up living -- a highly educated lawspeaker who
>> lives two valleys over isn't much use.
>
>Yep, but my issue is with the resources expended. Somebody had to have
>invested in
>said lawspeaker's education, with the most likely being their clan. Even
>if they
>were educated by a lawspeaker in a nearby clan, there'd be debts and
>obligations
>incurred to compensate.
>

>> >So, wouldn't this suggest that there are at least *some* intra-clan
>>marriages?
>>
>> It might explain why there are multiple marriage patterns (e.g.
>>under-husband).
>
>Mmm.

One event I do recall in KoDP involved a important woman of another clan who wanted one of our young men to marry her and move to her clan. They were offering various neat stuff. Our guy was a brooding depressive type but we talked him into it IIRC.

So the rules about who moves may vary depending on how important someone is to the clan.

--
"You may have trouble getting permission to aero or lithobrake
asteroids on Earth."  -  James Nicoll