RE: Twins & Fins

From: Phil Hibbs <phil_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 21:47:57 -0000

>No haven't had that but have had two nobles with the same portraits.
>I guess identical twins (even though they were not the same age).

Reminds me of a line from "Brazil", Lowry asks Michail Palin "How're the twins?" Palin replies "Triplets now." Lowry: "Congratulations!"

RE: Those Perfidious Finns...

>>As far as I know, copyright laws allow copying of games for
>>purposes of a personal backup.

>This has not been the case for many years, since games came on floppy
>disks. many now come explicitly stating that copying is illegal.

I believe you may be incorrect. Let me look up my copyright law...

From the Franklin Pierce Law Centre at
http://www.fplc.edu/tfield/cOpySof.htm
"Fair use... This doctrine is especially liberal where the use advances public interests such as education or scholarship and specifically permits making a backup copy of a program." I'm not sure if that means that only educational or shcolarly establishments are permitted to make backups.

However I can't find any verification of the above in the copyright law at the library of congress:
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/circ92.html It does say that libraries and archives may make three copies for the purpose of replacing lost, damaged or stolen, copies. Hmmm, I'm not so sure now.

But just because they say "you may not..." doesn't mean it's so. <provoke>In fact, if a vendor wants to claim that my rights under copyright law do not apply, then surely I too can claim that theirs don't.</provoke> :-)

I believe that even if Kaj is technically on the wrong side of the law, which he may not even be as I have no idea about Finnish law, morally there is no problem at all. In any case, let's try and be civil, though.

Phil.