Re: guidance on Heroquests

From: Stefan Kalgraf <tassen_99_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:30:25 +0100

>We need all the mysteries of the quest known. Try not to do things the god
>in question hates the year before, and do the quest in the relevant season.

Season is irrelevant. (At least I seem to remember the developer saying this somewhere)

>The quester need to have a Very Good or better magic ability, and also a
>Very Good or better ability in the skills relevant to the quest - usually
>combat, plus others as relevant to the deity in question.

In my experience, magic is less important than the relevant skills on the quest.

>In our experience, Very Good is "Very Bad" for HQ.... so, really, you need
>to be better. When we won a short game, it was through having one person
>able to do the combat-related quests through Heroic combat skills and
>Excellent magic. To be honest, that's as we'd expect - they are
>HERO-quests, after all! 8)

Well...I've lost quite a few "heroic" people on quests, some of them are just damned hard to do. An important thing to remember is that failing the quest doesn't have to be the end of the world, especially if you stop before your leader is in danger. Some of the quests give you plenty of warning that you're starting to screw up. (ernalda feeds the tribe, chalana arroy, to some extent Elmal.)

>But it took us the better part of 30 years to find and groom that leader
>(we won the short game in 1384.) Is this simply a random effect we ought
>to expect? How do you groom leaders in non-combat skills? *How* are
>people able to the Ernalda Feeds the Clan inside the first few years of the
>game - the dice grant an awesome leader right at the outset?

Well, all it really takes to complete this quest is good (as in excellent or better.) leadership skill and some Combat skill. If I start an ernaldan tribe I wouldn't be surprised to get a good candidate immediately. Later in the game treasures really seem to help in this regard. Once you have 6 or so trade routes you should be able to buy anyone you like. (and don't feel obligated to raise your bid if you're refused the first time. I've had someone accept when I offered 50 goods LESS than last time :)

> In any event, we thought that the shift from Humakt to Orlanth, after
>failing to maintain his Humakti vows, was pretty cool - especially if it
>weakened his ability to resist Chaos. Good cause-and-effect! 8)

Heh heh....well it happens a tad too often for my tastes. I've simply stopped sending humakti on this quest. They're rare enough without me going around testing their devotion (which seems to be sadly lacking :)

Do You Yahoo!?