Re: guidance on Heroquests

From: James Sterrett & Corinne Mahaffey <jscm_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:51:50 -0500

> >We need all the mysteries of the quest known. Try not to do things the god
> >in question hates the year before, and do the quest in the relevant season.
>
>Season is irrelevant. (At least I seem to remember the developer saying
>this somewhere)

OK, the KoDP FAQ suggests it does. 8/

> >In our experience, Very Good is "Very Bad" for HQ.... so, really, you need
> >to be better. When we won a short game, it was through having one person
> >able to do the combat-related quests through Heroic combat skills and
> >Excellent magic. To be honest, that's as we'd expect - they are
> >HERO-quests, after all! 8)
>
>Well...I've lost quite a few "heroic" people on quests, some of them are
>just damned hard to do.
>An important thing to remember is that failing the quest doesn't have to
>be the end of the world, especially if you stop before your leader is in
>danger. Some of the quests give you plenty of warning that you're starting
>to screw up. (ernalda feeds the tribe, chalana arroy, to some extent Elmal.)

We'll have to pay more attention to that... mostly we've been concentrating on making sure we choose the Mythically Correct answer. 8)

> >But it took us the better part of 30 years to find and groom that leader
> >(we won the short game in 1384.) Is this simply a random effect we ought
> >to expect? How do you groom leaders in non-combat skills? *How* are
> >people able to the Ernalda Feeds the Clan inside the first few years of the
> >game - the dice grant an awesome leader right at the outset?
>
>Well, all it really takes to complete this quest is good (as in excellent
>or better.) leadership skill and some Combat skill.
>If I start an ernaldan tribe I wouldn't be surprised to get a good
>candidate immediately.

Gotta love contradictory advice. (You say yes, another says no... just like the Ring. 8)

>Later in the game treasures really seem to help in this regard. Once you
>have 6 or so trade routes you should be able to buy anyone you like. (and
>don't feel obligated to raise your bid if you're refused the first time.
>I've had someone accept when I offered 50 goods LESS than last time :)

Good tip - thanks! 8)

James Sterrett & Corinne Mahaffey
jscm_at_...