Re: guidance on Heroquests

From: Barry Brenesal <jaspire_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:03:10 -0000

I've found that the so-called "peace bomb" quest (Chalana Arroy) is very useful early in a hard game. Even if you plan to switch to a fighting clan later on, it makes sense to buy yourself a breather while your people are still getting settled in.

It also appears that any quest you do which raises the level of general respect accorded your tribe, also influences the general affability with which it's viewed. The more your people are despised, the more evil deeds will fester in the minds of all your neighbors. The more you are esteemed, the more easily the effects of your misdeeds are disregarded (save, by those you deliberately target).

Seasons in which you perform quests definitely matter. I tend to prefer winter simply because I hate to waste a turn, but it has to be said that quests are generally at a disadvantage during this time. If you're going to perform winter quests, make certain you have plenty of extra magic, and a most suitable quest candidate, with all the requisite skills at "excellent" level, or better. Invest some magic points in quests at the start of the year, and don't try a quest two years running in the wintertime--your chances of success are far too slim.

Don't worry too much about getting a proper worshipper for a quest candidate. Although it certainly helps, you may want to boost the skills of a candidate who isn't tied to a specific god. All other factors being in your favor, a candidate from another god will work out just fine.

Try to focus your quests on just a few candidates, whose skills you've raised to the renowned level. Make sure they're young; you don't want to lose all that accumulated skill just a few years after they've reached the peak. And be sure that once they've hit old age, you have some suitable, youthful candidates in training, waiting to take over once the legends die.

Barry Brenesal