Re: Re: disappearing treasures/regalia; sheep; Raven Banner

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:26:44 -0800 (PST)

> Actually, even in games with thousands of sheep
> and over 1,000 people, I
> don't build many temples; great temples especially
> don't seem worth it except
> in rare cases (such as having the Silver Tongue). I
> usually end up with
> temples only to Humakt, Issaries, Orlanth, Elmal,
> and sometimes Lhankor Mhy,
> and usually no great temples at all - which by
> itself still implies the
> slaughter of hundreds of animals a year. On the
> other hand, I'll build shrines
> to just about every deity in existence - they're
> cheap, they give a variety of
> different effects and they appear to appease the
> gods.

I broadly agree....but great temples have one specific benefit above and beyond giving you blessings: extra magic! I'm not sure if it absolute or linear, but I count on something like one extra magic a year per great temple. (I think they might give a prestige boost, too.)

I still don't build all that many of them, but two or three seem to give a nice boost to magic without being too overly expensive.

What I often end up with, in fact, is lots of shrines and a few great temples, and almost no 2-blessings temples. (obviously I have regular temples at some point during the game, but now I'm talking about near the end of a long game where your clan is fairly stable and well established).

I'm
> increasingly finding the world of Glorantha to be an
> interesting setting.

Dave, are you a role player by any chance? If so you really should look at the Hero Wars game. Even if not, you might want to pick up the soon to be released "Thunder Rebels" book for a lot more information about the Orlanthi. It promises to be fascinating for anyone who is interested in Glorantha.

--Bryan (who has no affiliation with Issaries Inc (the publisher of Hero Wars), except as a satisfied customer.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices. http://auctions.yahoo.com/