Re: Re: enemies, ducks, and treasures

From: dharper_at_...
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:15:33 -0500 (EST)

Quoting jaspire_at_...:

> I've generally found that the fancier goods can provide significantly
> increased revenues, particularly towards the beginning of any game.
> I also wonder what advantage moving "as many carls as possible" into
> crafters will do, since your council will inform you that above a
> certain (quite small) number, additional crafters adds nothing to
> goods.

     The only messages I've seen from the council is that the clan can only 'trade away' the goods produced by a certain number of crafters - this number is shown as advice when choosing to put farmers into crafters. This information I took to mean the profit of your market - generally 10-15 goods a year - instead of the number of goods produced - generally 75-150 goods a year.

     I could be wrong - it's sometimes hard to see cause and effect in the game. But I've never received a warning from my council that I had too many crafters, and I HAVE received said warnings for weaponthanes, hunters, and farmers (for the land I had).

     This would be something to investigate in the game - lower or raise the number of crafters at the beginning of a year, run through the year and see how much was produced, go back and try it with a different number to see what actually happens. It's up there with my "figure out how much the Silver Tongue is really worth" idea.

> Interesting: I've never found more than 2 (once, 3) special goods in
> my tula in a game. Is this on Easy level? I play it on Hard.

     I've been playing it on Normal level - my hat's off to you, as I find Hard quite difficult to play without constantly saving and going back to saved games. In normal, I don't have to do that (but still do suffer some bad results at times). In my last game, I encountered four trade goods in my tula in two years of exploration, and a fifth (which I can't make use of) several years later, probably 10 years into the game.

> think the number of special goods is related in part to the explorer
> you send out. I've tended to focus on Vinga; whose followers do you
> use?

     When sending explorers in my own tula, I tend to use Issaries god-talkers; when sending them elsewhere, I usually use my best fighter/diplomat. When sending them into certain places I will send disposable leaders.

> While it's possible nothing ever existed there,
> I'm inclined to think the value of special materials in the tula is
> determined when your explorer intially reports back to the council.
> Having looked thoroughly before, that value wasn't reset to allow a
> more skilled agent to look again.

     I don't think this is the case - you can find up to 5 special materials in easy or normal level (haven't tried Hard often enough to know). I think all that happens is that your chance of finding them goes down in the harder levels. Keep in mind that while playing in Normal level, it took me two years of intensive exploration to find the 4 resources - that's 8 exploration teams total (2 in spring, 2 in summer for both years). Even in the first year I got people coming back saying "If there are any other wonders in our tula left to find, we can't find 'em." A better idea of what's left is to ask your ancestors for a divination re: your tula - I've never once had them tell me there was nothing left to find in it. Besides the five resources, there's two sets of strange stones (evil spirits and craftsmen), the remains of a chariot from the old Empire of Dragons, Tabard Riel (not sure if there's two of these (good/bad) or just one that can be either), and several treasures such as the burning standard. To find all of them would probably require several dozen searches - the majority of which would turn up with nothing.

> Agreed, though I'm chary with horses as gifts to clans who don't like
> mine, especially if I'm running a peaceful clan. The last thing my
> people need is a raid by clans using their own former horses. I'm
> also willing to trade cows when my numbers grow very high (who needs
> 1200 cows, after all?), and they're greatly appreciated, especially
> by the more impoverished clans.

     Does the game actually keep track of the number of horses other clans have in such a manner as to reflect their number of weaponthanes?

> Yes, but considerably less in the Hard game. Plus, he can, on
> occasion, kill anything you throw at him. I'm not sure, but he may
> also have an impact on your relations with the dragon-like folk
> encountered elsewhere in the game.

      Not sure - I haven't met enough to really know.

      Speaking of which, every time the Dragon-newt-thing (?) comes to my tula and asks which virtue I hold most sacred, I've answered Justice. As hinted by David, I've then watched for an event that happened later that reflected this choice. I've never been able to find anything in the next year that had anything to do with justice or the 'newts. Anybody else figured this out, or seen what happens when you make other choices?

      Also, when a shaman appears and gives a prophecy, has anybody EVER been successful in tracking him down (to adopt, capture, or kill him)? I've never succeeded regardless of who I send and how many people I send with him/her.

This mail sent via Golden Triangle Web-Mail http://www.golden.net