Fantastic, though limited, leaders

From: Roland Volz <incarnadine37_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:07:28 -0500

Having recently joined the list, I dusted off my copy of the game and started a new
game. As if to compensate me for not having played for several months, the game
started me with an Issaroes worshipper (with Heroic Bargaining, Excellent Combat,
and Very Good Custom, Leadership, Magic and Plants), as well as two Vingans (both
of whom have Renowned Combat and Very Good Bargaining, Combat, Custom, Magic and
Plants) and an Ernaldan (who had Renowned Plants, Excellent Animals, and Very Good
Combat, Custom, Leadership and Magic). I even started with a dual Elmal/Orlanth
worshipper who I made my clan chief due to his Excellent Leadership, even if he was
sorely lacking in anything else above Good. But I started with no Lhankor Mhys, no
Humakti, no other chief-material Orlanthi, one (very old) Uraldan and one (very
young and unskilled) Eurmali. Mind you, none of the great leaders were on the clan
ring to begin the game; instead, the chief who brought my clan from the Holy
Country is a Chalana Arroy with Very Good Leadership... (!!)

In fact, better make that (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)!

Anyway, my questions are as follows:

Is there any way, any at all, to encourage the development of leaders of specific
cults? One of the most frustating elements of the games I've played is my inability
to replace certain god-talkers, no matter how I arrange temples and such. In one
game, I maintained a great temple to Humakt for about sixty years, without ever
finding a single Humakti in the crop of leaders. (Who the heck does the High Holy
Day ceremonies? Joe Blow the Orlanthi guard, back from guarding the Landing Room in
the Orlanth temple?)

Secondly, do the humming sorcerous implements do anything? For the first time, I
managed to defeat those three soul-empty emmisaries from the Pharaoh, and now I
don't know what to do with their swag. Is is similar to the Silver Dragonewt
Statue, i.e. general vague benefits? Or will I be paying for the incident later?

Roland Volz