Re: starting actions

From: Jonathan Wight <JWight_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:52:40 -0600

On 1/31/01 12:58 PM, "James Sterrett & Corinne Mahaffey" <jscm_at_...> wrote:

> I don't recall this being discussed on the list (I ought to look as find
> out if Yahoo has added a useful archive search function, I guess).
>
> How do people tend to open the game to get into a strong position?

I don't know if I'd say this gets me into a strong position but here's what I do (in order):

Re-arrange my ring. Max out craftsman. Up the thanes to a good level (20ish). Make sure I have plenty (200) of land for the animals and a good amount for grains (I usually choose to have more land than I can ever need). Then it's a case of going after the grain/cattle/trade mysteries and building the relevant shrines. I also try to cease the feud with all but my closest enemy in the first year.

I don't bother increasing my defences until year 2 or 3. I also explore my own tula until I have 3 of the special trade goods. I make peace with the ducks when they come knocking - 50 food a year is trivial.

    Jon.