Re: Those darned Koralings...

From: Antti Heiskanen <antti.heiskanen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:04:59 +0200

At 1749 15/03/01 -0500, you wrote
>On a related issue - has anyone ever had a clan pay them
>tribute? Or is
>that a "let them off the hook for a year" option?

One of the visions I had when I started my thrall taking, Urox worshipping, ass kicking and ultra aggressive war clan was that economy of the clan would be based on thralldom and tribute from other clans. The idea was to be the neighborhood bully and intimidate the other clans to pay us yearly tribute.

Well, it didn't work out all that well. I was the military presence in the area and was kicking the ass of the few neighbouring clans and was well respected or feared (at least according to the indicator shown in every Sacred Time) by others, but getting the clans to pay a sizeable yearly tribute seemed nearly impossible. Even if they agreed they stopped to pay after a short time. The end result was just a lots of angry neighbours.

Although there were those weird occurances when clans seemed to be happy to pay the tribute. We had good relations with them (blue colour in the map) and the colour was still blue after demanding and getting the tribute. I quess our Heroic bargainer managed to fool them to think we will protect them or something. And they paid that tribute happily for years.

Then there were those who just refused to pay no matter what. One of the clans I was using to demonstrate military power of my clan was one these. No matter how badly I beat them they would not agree to pay a yearly tribute. It was time get nasty so I took some of their land, even insulted them by burning their steads and killing lots of them. The bastards still refused. Even though they had no chance to oppose my clan in a battle field they kept raiding me. By then I was starting to admire their courage and was actually willing to let me be, but I quess they hated us deeply at that point and they didn't want to end the feud. And I'm not going to anger my farmers by giving another clan gifts worth of hundreds of cows.

Any tribute demanding success stories out there?

-antti

PS. Needless to say when I started that agressive war clan it had no Urox or Humakt worshiping nobles and other nobles were quite bad at combat also. What the clan had was no fewer than four Chalana Arroy worshipers and of course the only noble with decent leadership was one of the CA. So my war monger clan had an old CA lady as chief for number of years :)