Payback is.......next to impossible?

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 11:11:37 -0700 (PDT)

So, one of my current clans started life owing a whack of favors, and I've never totally worked my way out from under that burden. We've paid off most clans, but within in our tribe our need for supporters for heroquests means we owe most tribe-mates at least one favor, maybe more.

Fortunately, we are now fairly prosperous, so we can afford to send out mission after mission to pay them back. At least, so I thought.

Picture it, a mission departs guarded by four weaponthanes and ten carls. It is led by an Issaries worshipper acknowledged by all to not only be of heroic bargaining abilities but to be excellent in almost every pursuit. It stops by our great temple of Issaries for a final blessing, then heads off secure in the knowledge that the silvertongue blessing will aid them. They lead off five fine horses, seven healthy cows, goods worth more than twice that amount, and enough food to feed 140 people for a year.

Then a couple of weeks later they return, tails between their legs, to admit that our tribe mate and ally didn't see fit to accept all that bounty as repayment for a favor owed.

I did manage to get one clan to accept a payment of slightly less than this as repayment for a favor owed, but I had three others snub their noses at us.

Early in the game most clans will accept 35 cows worth of goods or equivelent as a sure-fire repayment for a favor. We are now shipping off the equivalent of 112 cows worth of goods and it isn't enough? I can see some scaling based on clans' wealth, but this is nuts!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

--Bryan

Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/