Re: re: starvation

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

Umm, adjusting your crop mix might help, but I agree with the person who asked if you'd adjusted the number of hides of crops that you are growing, that sounds like the most obvious thing. The other thing that you didn't say, but that was implied, was to make sure you have one ring member with a very high plants skill (preferably at least excellent, if you have such a leader). You don't need an Ernaldan and a barntari on the ring--one or the other will do fine for giving you the extra point of magic in crops. You do put two points into crops each year, right? (i.e. not just the first year). For reference, in a normal year I typically grow around 33% wheat, 45% barley, and 22% rye. (In bad years I'll go something like 20% wheat, 30% barley, and 50% rye).

 > Got me far enough to realize the hard way to stay
> the heck away from
> eurmal's heroquest, I didn't need those two eurmal
> whorshippers
> anyway =) Next time I'll try feeding a few orlanthi
> worshippers to
> eurmal, got a surplus of them =p

Uh, I assume you mean "Elmal's heroquest"??? Eurmal is the trickster, Elmal the god of sun and horses. Elmal has a quest, Eurmal doesn't. If you are having trouble with the Elmal quest, all the usual advice that you can find in the archives for this list, or in the FAQ, applies. I'll give you a bonus tip that I only figured out after a year of play, if you want it

For Elmal's quest the obvious skills needed are combat and magic. However Custom is also critically important. Even in just about ideal conditions a quester with fair or worse custom will have a hard time completing the quest. If your only Elmal worshipper has bad custom you are honestly likely better off with somebody else.