Re: North West Mission Omen

From: sibley_at_...
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:24:06 -0000

I'm pretty new at this myself. But I believe it is Tarsh the gods are talking about when they say northwest. And you don't actually get much except exposition of some story. This story turns out to be related to the long game only. It's the history of the guy you wind up competing with for the hand of the Horse Queen.

Other than this story (in three parts, IIRC) all I ever get out of responding to these requests is random goods, possibly a loss of goods. Also my rep in Tarsh goes up and down somewhat, but this seems to matter not at all. The first time to Tarsh you meet the sorcerer, of course -- and you don't get any of the story. There's also a short subplot where you can send some warriors to fight for Tarsh, but I believe this is unrelated to requests to go to Tarsh.

I think it's really just the story. And if you're playing a short game, even the story won't mean anything. In the long game it's interesting to get the exposition once, so you know what's going on. My first long game I didn't understand it. I thought the twins were going to be important, as is stated elsewhere in the game. But it turns out it's the son of one of the twins who is important. Second long game the story made a lot more sense.