Re: Bad King Ugrain

From: James Sterrett & Corinne Mahaffey <jscm_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:43:59 -0400

At 05:04 PM 6/18/01 +0000, you wrote:
>You know, the game just wouldn't be the same without the never-
>ending* cautionary bits about Bad King Ugrain (I hope I got the name
>right).
>
>Does anyone know if he was invented for KoDP, or does he have a
>longer Gloranthan background? Either way, any info on when and where
>he ruled?
>
>* Never-ending isn't bad. Sometimes I still see bits of his story
>that I don't recall having seen before. This game never ceases to
>surprise me. For example, you know that leader you often get who has
>a cliche for every situation? I actually encountered an event
>related to that for the first time recently! How totally cool to
>have some little bit of background flavour suddenly become part of
>the story :) I pay more attention to my leaders' advice now, even on
>events that I know well.

I *love* that event. 8)

When I show people KoDP, I always hope that I get a good range of wackos in the initial set of nobles, so I can point out that "they have personal agendas - look there! The event is about trading, and that laddie thinks we must go kill elves...." 8) I don't know how much trouble it was to add them in, but the agendas and foibles add a lot to the ring's feel of realism.

James Sterrett & Corinne Mahaffey
jscm_at_...