Seeking narrow gains from quests

From: Joshua Mosher <joshua.mosher_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:14:59 -0400

I have gotten a puzzling comment the past two long games after the town is built. Each time I chose to go on the Issaries heroquest, and thankfully succeeded. I was a little bemused to see that both times other clans found ours strange because we chose narrow personal gains rather than wider benefits. But the first time, I chose to learn more about Dragon Pass (which I might add is a poor choice regardless, since you just fill in the general map, with no hidden locations revealed--a waste of a heroquest), which doesn't seem like a particularly narrow benefit. The second time, remembering the first game, I chose to end a feud, and got the same complaint.

So here's my question: what counts as a narrow or wide benefit on the Issaries quest? Is there a particular choice you are mythically supposed to pick on this occasion of the founding of the town?

While I'm at it, does the hero (the one who throws a clan leader into a wall if you refuse him) seeking support in a quest to mythically overcome Orlanthi differences ever succeed, or does he always just burn magic points if you give in to his demands?

And, David, I just wanted to say, having just won for the first time with a queen, KoDP has the absolute coolest ending of any game I have ever played. It's so satisfying to see the narrative of Dragon Pass's flourishing after you win, especially after you've completed a gruelling game on Hard!

Regards,
Joshua Mosher