Re: Sudden fatal error

From: Captain Button <button_at_...>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 07:42:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Gary Breinholt wrote:

> I'm almost heartbroken: I haven't played KoDP for a few months but
> now that I have reloaded I keep getting the same problem.
> Any screen that allows you to pick a person (eg re-organise Clan
> ring or select an expedition leader) has developed a very slow
> response time. In addition at least one of the portraits wil be
> missing. It is almost as though the computer is having a problem
> locating that particular portrait and is freezing whilst it does a
> search of the CD.
> The names, descriptions and portraits also seem to be mixed up in
> some cases.
>
> On my home computer (windows 98) this is infuriating but on my
> laptop (windows 95) the program will crash with a message that
> Mtplayer has performed and illegal operation.
> Any ideas what might be going on?
>
> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both version 1.1 and
> version 1.6. On both machines the problem persists.

A possible suggestion: Turn off any cache function for that CD-ROM drive.

I tried turning on a bunch of caching functions for the external CD-ROM I have, and found that it made KoDP run *slower*. It also made the music very choppy, playing maybe half a second of music, a half second of silence, then another half second of music, etc.

And transitions that had been slow became even slower.

OTOH, I'm using a PowerMac 4400 with system 7.5.6, so it this may be of limited relevance to Win 98 machine.

But it may be that KoDP doesn't get on with CD-ROM caching.

--
"Gee, who'd a thunk it?  Turns out alien superintelligence is
no match for our Earthly can-do spunk." - Jane Lane, "Daria"