New Elf Member

From: Giles Hill <giles_hill_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 02:33:06 -0700 (PDT)

Dang blast it, and it was so hard to resist making any comments about the obviously somewhat 'confused' new member of the forum. Now you lot jump in. Perhaps someone would care to point him in the direction of a nice concise explanation of where what and how is Glorantha and KODP. We do after all want to encourage new blood - even only to give something to the Broos to occupy themselves with.

Community e-mail addresses:
Post message: KingOfDragonPass_at_onelist.com Subscribe: KingOfDragonPass-subscribe_at_onelist.com Unsubscribe: KingOfDragonPass-unsubscribe_at_onelist.com List/archive URL:
http://www.onelist.com/community/KingOfDragonPass

There are 6 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

  1. Re: New member - Elf encounter
  2. Re: new member
  3. Re: New member - Elf encounter
  4. Re: New member - Elf encounter
  5. RE: New member
  6. RE: New member

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:05:12 EDT (-0400) Subject: Re: New member - Elf encounter

> : A male elf standing at 5'8 walks in.

What would the council Ring think of this? Is this elf an independant person or does he come on behalf of his clan (do elves even have clans?)? Why can't we just have a peaceful day when nothing happens? Sigh. Maybe this is an opportunity. Perhaps the clan could hire him to help beat off those pesky troll raiders at a discount rate; I know elves don't like trolls. Now which myth story described the origin of that ancient feud?

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:15:49 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: new member

> A male elf standing at 5'8 walks in. His green
> eyes glint in the light as he smiles. He brushs his
> long blond hair out of his eyes and unbuttons his
> black cloak. Over his left shoulder is a great war
> bow and over his right is a quiver full of arrows.
> On his hip is a mithril short sword and a pouch that
> seems to be full. He is plaid in mithril mail and a
> forest green tunic. He is wearing tan pants. He is
> also wearing dragon hide boots and gloves. His smile
> goes away as he quickly looks in his pouch and after
> a moment of searching he closes it and looks back up
> and smiles wearily, looking around the place
> expectantly.

Then he realizes that he doesn't have blonde hair, because in Glorantha, all elves are actually plants. He doesn't have hair. He has short green wisps.

He also realizes that he doesn't have any clothes on, because he's covered with leafy green stuff that keeps him healthy.

He realizes that his sword and armor are no longer made of mithril, because there's no such thing in Glorantha. He's not sure whether they are made of wood that has been enchanted to magical hardness or copper enchanted to look like wood. It is probably somewhere in between.

He discovers he's wearing a pouch full of silver rocks. Yuck. He dumps these on the ground, since they are the accused metal of the Red Moon witch that burnt down the Forest of Rist in the Moonburn.

The meat faces' scuttling after the silver reminds him of how alien a place any human settlement is to him. He can't hear the Song of the Forest, and is already lonely and directionless. Reacting against the presence of so many unnaturally straight lines, he closes his eyes and begins to tell the story of his dragon hide boots and gloves. It's a good story -- in Glorantha, the dragons ate an entire empire.

The humans in the room wonder, though, does this elf know where he is?

Chris Lemens

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Message: 3
> I know elves don't like trolls. Now which myth story
> described the origin of that ancient feud?

It's not published yet, as far as I know. It was made available a while back (18+ months) on the Glorantha site, but was cycles out to one of the GTA sites.

The substance of it is that the Aldryami know that the trolls are one of the three races of the Taker, against whom the Grower, throughout its many incarnations, has always struggled.

To the Trolls, the elves were just a tasty, excessively mobile snack when they arrived on the surface.

Chris Lemens

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:44:51 EDT (-0400) Subject: Re: New member - Elf encounter

> The substance of it is that the Aldryami know that the trolls are one
> of the three races of the Taker, against whom the Grower, throughout
> its many incarnations, has always struggled.

That's a nice concise explanation.

Message: 5

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:41:06 +0100

> : A male elf standing at 5'8 walks in. His green eyes glint in the
> light as he smiles. He brushs his long blond hair out of
> his eyes and
> unbuttons his black cloak. Over his left shoulder is a
> great war bow
> and over his right is a quiver full of arrows. On his hip is a
> mithril short sword and a pouch that seems to be full. He
> is plaid in
> mithril mail and a forest green tunic. He is wearing tan
> pants. He is
> also wearing dragon hide boots and gloves. His smile goes
> away as he
> quickly looks in his pouch and after a moment of searching
> he closes
> it and looks back up and smiles wearily, looking around the place
> expectantly.

We kill him and carefully loot his body for being strange and foriegn, like the elves that helped make Gbaji.

He should of known better than to not use the appropriate greeting.

We give his boots and gloves to the dragonnewts and consult the ancestors about the rest of his gear.

Adam