Sacrifice before battle - what's the point?

From: Kaj Sotala <Tspro_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 21:45:14 +0300

I get the feeling that sacrificing to Urox and/or Orlanth before a battle is a lose-lose option.

The way I see it, if you sacrifice to the gods, and the opponent does so as well, you've both gotten the blessing of the gods, so neither side is at an advantage. If, on the other hand, the opponent chooses not to sacrifice and charges you while you're still doing it, you're at a disadvantage.

The reverse also applies: if you don't sacrifice, and they do, they're at a disadvantage, and if neither sacrifices, neither has the advantage. Thus you should never sacrifice, since that has a 50% chance of putting you at the advantage, while sacrificing either puts you to disadvantage or doesn't change the odds at all.

Am I missing something?

"My administration has been calling upon all the leaders in the in the Middle East to do everything they can to stop the violence, to tell the different parties involved that peace will never happen." -- George W. Bush, Crawford, Texas, Aug, 13, 2001 (Thanks to Michael Shively.)
ICQ 18051088/AIM Xuenay/MSN Xuenay_at_... | http://www.saunalahti.fi/~tspro1/