Re: Urox's Shrine & Snakepipe's Sorcerer connection

From: KentCave <kentcave_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:02:59 +0700

> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 16:46:38 -0000
> Subject: Re: Snakepipe's smokers
>
> wrote:
> > Me:
> > > In
> > > certain conditions you can also find the weirdest sorceror.
> > > I don't know exactly what the conditions are, as it only
> > > happened to me once, but Dave hinted that it only happened if
> > > your clan had a certain weakness.
> >
> > It happens to me often, so it must mean that my clans often have
> that
> > weakness :(
> >
> > I am annoyed, however, that I never manage to do something
> interesting
> > or useful in that event. My weaponthane looses and arm and I loose
> even
> > more if I send a rescue party.
>
> ** spoilerish **
> The one time that it happened I was able to succesfully get his hand
> back and dispose of the foul sorceror. I don't recall the details of
> the event very well, but I think I sent a leader high in magic, and
> if I had a chance I probably made a big sacrifice to Urox before
> going.
>
> My suspicion is that perhaps it only happens if you don't have a
> shrine to Urox? I usually put off exploring Snake Pipe Hollow until
> late in the game, when I can either send a very powerful leader or
> someone I hope to get rid of, so by then I usually have a shrine to
> Urox with Sense Chaos, and for that matter I often sacrifice for
> Smite Chaos before sending off the explorers. The one time the event
> happened to me I think it was early in the game, and I may not have
> had that shrine in place.
>
> In other words, I don't know that the Urox shrine is the key, it
> could be something totally different, but it might be something to
> keep in mind.
>
> --Bryan

From my own experiences, "not" having a Urox shrine hardly had any effect to increase the chance to get the Snakepipe's Sorcerer encounter.

My last game, I purposely send troops and troops of my precious clan members to their perilous journeys across the wide breath of Dragon Pass - through Stinking Forest, Snakepipe Hollow and Beastfolks Valley was my main aim.

I experimented with Urox, Vinga and Odayla shrines. Such a strange coincidence that I hardly have a successful exploration on the Mostali and Grazers. Never had a chance to encounter "any" Mostali at all and after I manage to abduct the Goldeneye horse away, I never had any encounter with Horse-Spawn folks, except the occasional raids and ending scenes.

I lost so many explorers that they were being replaced "too fast", some clan members become virtually twins or sisters/brothers. I mean you have a 17 years old version and 30+ one together at the same time, with different names of course. I never dare to risk seeing what will happen in the long term, so I always send one to their demise.

I will keep sending explorers to those 3 areas, to see if I can ever get the sorcerer's encounter. They keep sending me same ole messages though, nothing new and exciting. Even the Tarsh one ended up with nothing after you had gotten Arim's Cup, Veil of Chalana Arroy etc. Also, is there any alternative scenes to the Cragspider's encounter? She keeps threatening me, but never annihiliate my clan like the event of Ironhoof's beastfolks massacre. Guess she "really" likes my offering of noble's barbeque meats, and we had to act as nemesis just to fool everybody else, hehe what a heretical conspiracy.

PS found out many game-crashing bugs from too many vicious genocide raids. Clans will move away, will disperse, will beg and renegade on vows etc. When I retaliated, they will offer tribute and beg for peace and if I press on attacking them, many times I would have gotten screen where I have to click "all" the choices just to get out from the scene. Most of the times had to go back to a save couple of seasons away just to avoid crashing between the time of Storm to Sacred.