Re: Web Based Sequel / Expansion

From: Alexander G. M. Smith <agmsmith_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:26:21 -0500 EST

David Dunham wrote on Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:43:21 -0800:
> Just because something's technically possible (and I'm not sure how
> practical it would be, given the lag for all the HTTP) doesn't mean
> it make sense. I sure don't want to invest in the servers and
> development.

It would be technically practical, the lag isn't that a big problem in KoDP (the user would be happy to receive a new JPEG painting!). Plus story lines could be added over time to keep the subscribers interested (people like you-know-who who have to see every treasure :-)). Once the server and billing system is in place, adding new content would be a lot easier than other games - more of a writing exercise and a painting or two rather than a 3D model and environment making factory (which often starts from pencil drawings anyway).

Unfortunately you can't make it multiplayer, unless you have a real Ring. But that would be a different game.