Re: Why KoDP is not popular?

From: dfs1962 <david.short_at_...> <david.short_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:59:49 -0000

This partially proves my point. SEIV is part of a long history of computer based space themed 4x games. It has a built in audience. The same is true with Dominions a fantasy themed 4x that is a latter day remake of the old Microprose game Master of Magic. These are very well identified game niches and KODP just doesn't really fit anywhere.

Combat mission is probably the best selling web only computer game.

While those games may be better known than KODP, I still have to point out that those games are not considered commercial hits. Despite Shrapnell "publishing" SEIV, Aaron still has to keep his dayjob  in order to finance his game. The same is true of the guys at illwinter doing Dominions.

Compare the sales of SEIV or the original Starships Unlimited with even a bad space 4x that appeared on store shelves, something like the remake of Reach for the Stars! RftS has a lot more raw sales.

Getting the game on the shelves is important and A# wasn't able to do that. Finding an identity for the game is also important and this game is SOooo unique that it failed there as well. Remember I LIKE the game, but I'm trying to explain why it isn't popular with people already playing computer games.

> Probably, KoDP was released too early for its time, at that time
>new game meant better graphics with better effects, and KoDP got
>lost among them. Right now, many people are tired of stupid
>meaningless 'shoot 'em up in cool 3d world' games. Smart games
>nowdays become more popular. Had A# have released KoDP now, it
>would've been a hit.

Really? I don't think that's changed at all. I bought my copy of kodp in the winter of 00 which was a pretty barren time for computer games. If anything I think most commercial games have gotten better about including content in the last two years.

I think David's attempt to market to non-computer gamers was a good decision. (I would also put KODP on my short list of best games ever)

dfs