Re: Re: Web Based Sequel / Expansion

From: KentCave <kentcave_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 00:46:52 +0700

> Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:36:05 -0800
> From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Web Based Sequel / Expansion
>
> Kent
>
> > Yeah, lag has not been of major factor for years. I can personally
vouch for
> > that fact, seeing that I switch from playing Ultima Online and
EverQuest by
> > godly cable connection to a horrible 32k modem dial-up connection.
>
> Neither of those are web games. They are online games with custom
> clients, which don't even run on all platforms (though EverQuest is
> finally coming to Mac).

Neither is KoDP going to be a web game or been develop as such. It is an online game with custom client, which will run on "all" platforms (as Alex had already pointed it out, that its just button roll-over, as most are done server-sider). Although I do admit I know nothing about those technical details. I figure that the heart-ache was too much for you, and you still has not gone over the sadness. You always think from your Mac-background anyway, just like I have a Mac-phobia (I will not touch it even with a pole =).

> > I am sure David have put a lot of thought into this, and in fact had
almost
> > give the go to the project.
>
> In general, online games are significantly more expensive to develop.
> And the successful ones all have a boxed component in the stores.
> --

Aye, the investment to get it started might, in fact, cost more than the original version. I understand that's the reason why Origin removed the idea of ever getting more Worlds of Ultima games out. Such a pity, as Savage Empire and Martian Dreams has garner critical reviews, yet cant beat the main series in sales.

> David Dunham A Sharp david_at_...
> Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://a-sharp.com
> Spare no expense to make everything as economical as possible --Samuel
Goldwyn

Kent, always striving to keep the dream alive. Otherwise, who will? _at_,-p