Re: OT: Alien Crossfire

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:57:07 -0800

>Someone on this list complained that Alien Crossfire expansion for Sid
>Meier's Alpha Centauri is impossible to find. This is because the game
>has been released as abandonware. You can download it from here:
>http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4135
>
>It's completely legal.

This is really off-topic for this list, but I see no evidence that this is so. I know from personal experience that Underdogs is overly zealous about declaring something abandonware. Just because one customer can't find something in a store, or one store clerk covers up for the fact that they didn't reorder by declaring something out of print, doesn't make it abandonware.

Milos, if you have evidence that Firaxis, Electronic Arts, or Aspyr have officially abandoned the product, please e-mail me off-list.  From a quick look, it is in fact still being sold and supported. (That the Windows version is "no longer available" does NOT mean "abandoned.")

(And to get back on-topic: if anyone spots King of Dragon Pass on Underdogs or similar sites, please let me know. We still sell and support it, and don't appreciate anyone undercutting our ability to do either. And yes, rip-off copies impact support, since people who haven't paid seem to want support too.)

--

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com