Re: Digest Number 493

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 06:54:07 -0700 (PDT)

Alexander G. M. Smith replied to me, replying to David Short:
> > > Particularly for software, a better model
> > > would be for developers to provide enough
> > > support and content that it is worth the time
> > > and effort of customers to purchase the product.
> >
> > I've never actually seen this work well,
> > though I'm not familiar with the example
> > you cite.
>
> How about Everquest and other games? They
> have large teams adding new artwork (treasure
> items, plot lines, etc) to the game. It's
> a subscriber model, not a single item sale,
> and it seems to work.

I think the difference is that Everquest is run on a hosted model, where the company in question also has to bear the (cost of buying computing capacity (even if it is through an outsourcer, they require either up-front fees or creditworthiness and a commitment to miunimum purchases). That is a difficult model to break into. Also it only seems to work well where players can interact with each other. I admit that, when the stars are right, it can be very successful. Note, though that Everquest markets through retail shops. (What is in the box, by the way?)

Chris Lemens

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com