Re: Appropriate Sacrifices

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:10:56 -0500

Bryan Thexton gave some very helpful comments on sarcifices, but I'd take issue with a couple of things he says ...

> - When sacrificing for mysteries, the first X sacrifices a year (where
> X is the amount of magic that you put into mysteries in the sacred time
> rites) will usually work at 7.

Another variable seems to be the strength of your clan's magic, when it's zero or negative bigger sacrifices seem to be needed.

> - The uralda quest is one of the hardest in the game I find, but when
> desperate for cows it is good. ...

If you're finding a quest hard it usually means you haven't read the myth carefully enough. As another poster mentioned recently, the Uralda quest gets much easier if you pick the option to watch from a high place in the first set of options (as the myth clearly indicates). That means you're not thinking of yourself when the biting things attack.

I've just found another trick, which you're given a strong clue to if you're having trouble persuading the bulls later on. I'll post exact details under spoilers if asked. With it the Uralda quest becomes relatively easy.

I'm finding 'Elmal Guards the Stead' the hardest quest. Currently I have a balanced clan worshipping Elmal, the Clan chief (now King) is Heroic in Combat, Leadership and Magic, and I can still only succeed with that quest if my clan magic is around 20 or better (while I can do 'The Making of the Storm Tribe' with clan magic at zero). I've followed my own advice and re-read the myth, and paid attention to the clues in the text at each stage, and so far I've only found minor improvements.

Andrew