Re: Thralls and farming

From: Edward Bornstein <button_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:00:36 -0500

antti wrote:

>Does anyone know how much thralls contribute to farming and herding
>needs? The ring advisors keeps complaining that we are short on
>farmers (usually the number is around ten to twenty pair of hands).
>Yet the clan has around 40 thralls. At least the advisors aren't able
>to take them into account. But anyone(David?) out there with rule of
>thumb like "2 thralls equals one farmer in the game despite what the
>ring says"? And in the above situation the farmers will not actually
>get upset from overload of work because we have those thralls there to
>help them.

One thing I've figured out (rightly or wrongly) is that when one of your ring complains about a farmer shortage, they mean how many there are at that instant, regardless of season. So if you need 200 farmers for your herds and crops, and have 220, you think you're ok. But if in Storm season and you send 25 farmers to escort a trade expedition to the Grey Fox clan, you think you'll be ok because they'll be back in time for planting in Sea season. But your farming expert on the ring doesn't think of that, s/he just sees 195 farmers where 200 are needed and bitches at you.

This can happen with weaponthanes also. You have 30 weaponthanes and send 25 on an exploring expedition, and you immediately get the other 5 coming to you saying you should recruit more weaponthanes.

--
Once is happenstance.
Twice is coincidence.