Re: Buying a treasure and emissaries Qs

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:40:36 -0800

Antti

>But would be interesting to hear if anyone has tried to play the
>game with an adolescent.

I think there have been people who have, but just who escapes me at the moment.

> >Well, the ability you need depends on what you end up negotiating.
>>Often, it's a "Diplomacy" skill, which is the average of Custom and
>>Bargaining.
>
>Interesting. I didn't know that. Sometimes you have a Issaries
>worshipper with very high Bargaining but poor Custom and another
>Issaries worshipper who isn't quite as good in Bargaining, but much
>better in Customs, so it would be, (ceteris paribus) actually better
>to send the latter guy on a trading mission?

I'm pretty sure that trading missions use Bargaining and not Diplomacy.

>Regards to the diplomatic missions and emissaries I always assumed
>there was a stronger emphasis on the Custom (and Leadership) than
>Bargaining and many times in the past I have used Lhankor Mhys with
>their high Custom skills as emissaries. To me missions like Give Gifts
>and Propose Alliance sounded to like things on which you'd rely on the
>traditions of Orlanthi more than your ability to haggle.

I'm not going to go back and check on specific missions (don't have time tonight), but like I said, different situations will use different abilities. For example, making threats vs offering deals. So I think it may depend on your response, not just the mission.

>Wonder if the game has any events that will be triggered only if one
>has a Trickster chief...

I seem to recall Elise writing some...

Alex

>On a related matter, I've always wondered what's the best person to send
>exploring. The game tends to choose a high Bargainer,

The scripts may use an Exploring skill, which is synthesized from several others. The "Pick a Leader" screen just sorts by the raw skills. I don't think they take into account any religion bonuses.

--

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com