Re: SpamGuard

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 08:14:15 +0000

>because it converts messages
>it suspects of being spam to attachments, which is incredibly stupid.

Actually highly sensible. If the suspected spam contains a script that gets round outlook's feeble defenses, the e-mail can cause havok on the system of anyone who downloads it. By making the message an attachment with a preview of the plain text content in the main message, that danger is minimised.

The best defense, however, is to have new members moderated until they prove themselves not a spambot.

>Note that Yahoo also has a note up that says they're rejecting mail with
>"test" in the subject line. It's not clear whether they mean messages with
>*only* that word in the subject line, or whether any occurrence of the word
>can cause a rejection. Caveat auctor.

Yahoo is presumably reacting to the recent spate of worms, many of which are sending round e-mails with single word subjects like "Hi" "Hello" and "Test". A message entitled "Having problems testing my theories" should be fine.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson