Re: SpamGuard

From: Meredith Dixon <dixonm_at_...>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 09:43:03 -0500

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 08:14:15 +0000, you wrote:

>>because it converts messages
>>it suspects of being spam to attachments, which is incredibly stupid.
>
>Actually highly sensible. If the suspected spam contains a script that gets
>round outlook's feeble defenses, the e-mail can cause havok on the system
>of anyone who downloads it. By making the message an attachment with a
>preview of the plain text content in the main message, that danger is
>minimised.

Okay; I'll accept that it's sensible for Outlook users. For all the rest of us, it's incredibly stupid. I do not have (or want) a mailer which previews mail, and I do not normally open attachments. When I must open an attachment, I do so by saving the attachment to a file and following the same procedures I would normally use with any suspect downloaded file. I am not about to take the time to do this with all the messages Yahoo has seen fit to mark as suspect.

>The best defense, however, is to have new members moderated until they
>prove themselves not a spambot.

Which we do. Yet Yahoo imposed this SpamGuard thing on us anyhow.

--
Meredith Dixon <dixonm_at_...>
Check out *Raven Days*: http://www.ravendays.org