Re: Digest Number 543

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:00:19 -0800 (PST)

> If it's any consolation, I agree the game is hard.
>
> I always try and prioritize defense, exploration and
> trade. Uncontrolled aggression is not your friend.

Yes.....but! Don't worry too much about some of your people dying or getting hurt. They are a violent folk, and the weaponthanes will get restless if you don't go raiding every so often, and even the farmers expect a fight now and then. You can minimize your losses with Orlanth's Woad blessing (for they fyrd) and Elmal's shield blessing (for the weaponthanes). You also take less injuries when you win, of course.....which is more apt to happen when you have a larger force. So recruit those weaponthanes up about as high as you can, and when you go raiding bring almost all of them, and all but 50 or so of the fyrd, to improve your chances of winning the fight. Of course, having a leader with high combat helps too, so make sure a good fighter is on the ring. Finally, having lots of war blessings and war treasures helps....you can't do much about that at the beginning of course, but keep it in mind.

But I agree, with a young clan I don't raid very often.

Cattle raids are generally better. If you send a small force (~12 or so total) you'll get away with it quite often, and when you do hit a battle if you choose evade and retreat as often as not you'll not take any real damage. It is a good way to gain cows.

-Ed

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search - Find what you�re looking for faster http://search.yahoo.com