Re: Digest Number 543

From: Meredith Dixon <dixonm_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:02:12 -0500

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:10:13 -0500, you wrote:
>>I've got games 10 years old or older I still enjoy - but as technology
>>marches on, it gets harder and harder to just take them out for a spin.

At the moment, I'm coping with that by maintaining a DOS box in addition to my more modern machines. Eventually, of course, it'll be harder to get parts for the DOS box when it breaks. Of course, I don't use it for games as new as KoDP. I still think of KoDP as a modern game. But then, since almost all 3D games make me hellishly dizzy less than five minutes after I start to play them, I haven't bought many new games lately.

The oldest game I still play regularly, not counting text adventures, is Broderbund's "Annals of Rome" from 1986. It's so old that it is perfectly happy to play in a window under Win2K. Most of the games of the late '80's are like that, though some have speed issues. The touchy, DOS-only games are the DOS4GW ones from the early 90's like "High Seas Trader."

And, yes, I agree that KoDP is remarkably replayable. I've been playing it fairly regularly since it came out, but I spent several months last year playing it to the near-exclusion of all other games, and it held up quite well under that strain. I broke my right forefinger Memorial Day weekend, and it was the only interesting game I could find which could be played with both minimal typing and minimal mouse-clicking.

--
Meredith Dixon <dixonm_at_...>
Check out *Raven Days*: http://www.ravendays.org