Re: Re: How easy would it be to create a king of sun country game?

From: David Harper <dharper_at_...>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 16:12:57 -0400

David Dunham <david_at_...>'s evil twin Skippy wrote:

>Well, any game using the same basic principles would be easier than
>doing it totally from scratch. It's still a pretty major effort
>however -- you'd still need 500 paintings if you did it like KoDP.
>
>And my sense is that the resettlement story is more compelling --
>KoDP is at its heart a story game, after all.
>
>But, I'd be happy to do such a game if someone comes up with the funding...

I'd buy a copy. KoDP is still one of my favorites - the quality of the storytelling and the uniqueness of the setting make it hard to replace.

Personally, I'd love to see a Scenario Builder or Event Maker for Dragon Pass - code together a program that lets users write their own events in some kind of basic code, modify existing events, even erase them completely! They could even add their own art to the game if they wanted - otherwise they'd get their choice of the 500 paintings. To make ends meet, specify that only people with the update can use modified events - then put together a website to let them trade and discuss. You could reuse the same art, the same code (mostly) as the original - only the event maker would need to be written.

Paradox Games does something like that with their series of historical RTS games, most notably Europa Universalis 2. Their forums are packed with fans interested in writing, trading and collaborating on historical events for the games. Some players have gone so far as to make their own games based on the original (a MOD based on the Mongol Hordes, most notably).

--
Me:    "I've made a few changes to the rules..."
Colin: "Who's surprised?  Put up your hand."