Re: Re: How easy would it be to create a king of sun country game?

From: Maxi Rose <teleute_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 23:56:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, David Dunham wrote:

> Except for the fact that the underlying engine doesn't support
> external resources, so people couldn't add art to the game.
>
> Nor do I understand your revenue model. Or is this just a wish list
> as part of a new game?

This is the rather prolific and unfortunate argument of, "Well, _I'd_ buy one!", used when supporting why you should suddenly start a new game or open up your software which is not designed to be opened up, to let users tinker with it and/or make their own MODs or scenarios for it. In short, "I can't code and don't want to pay you the upfront costs you need to be able to begin work on this project, leaving you to create something and HOPE anyone will want to buy it, but I can promise that if you make it, I will buy a copy, even if I can't promise ANYONE ELSE will. But you should do it because this OTHER game does it and that OTHER game is REALLY POULAR with its players and YOU'D be really popular TOO, if you did it."

Does A# take random donations? Because if I ever win the lottery, I _want_ to give you a nickel for every time someone has said these kinds of comments to you. :P And I bet not ALL my lottery winnings would pay that bill.

Remember, folks. David and his company are awfully kind to even TALK to us about a product no longer their main focus. How long has KoDP been on the market? 3-4 years? Longer? They are VERY gracious to be so friendly and helpful. They even patch the game, occasionally, which is more than can be said for most companies and their older games!

It costs money to create a game. You can say they'll get their money back from revenue, but where do they START? They have to choose their projects carefully so they don't go bankrupt. They can't just up and make any game someone begs for. KoDP had _500_actual_paintings_ for the game, and you can all agree how gorgeous they are. That takes time and money.

As David has said many times, if you want to pay the up front costs, I'm sure they'll code you a very sophisticated 3D Orlanthi version of Tic-Tac-Toe called Nic-Nac-Nog, using troll faces and troll behinds as the player symbols. However, you need to _pay_upfront_.

Forgive me if this seems overly harsh or rude. I just love KoDP to pieces, and really appreciate not merely the game A# team members have made, but their dedication to the fans by talking to us, visiting conventions for RuneQuest/Hero Wars, and being so very friendly about it all. As professional as they all are, they're the utmost approachable people in this business that I've ever met. So I just want to see their kindness repaid with courtesy.

I'll hush up and go back to lurking, now.

-Maxi, that crazy lady handing out imported Texas beer during dinner at GloranthaCon in Toronto c_c

--
Maxi Rose  Ghost of a Texas Lady   | Anime: FY, MB, KOR | Bab5, Goth