Re: Re: Re: How easy would it be to create a king of sun country game?

From: John Scheibeler <uplink989_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:57:33 -0500

Subject: Re: Re: How easy would it be to create a king of sun country game?

> Console games have even bigger budgets than computer games these
> days. My guess is that anyone investing that sort of money is going
> to want to own the intellectual property, and won't want to license
> Glorantha.

Not necessarily. The two biggest examples that come to mind, of course, are the Dungeons & Dragons games (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc.) and Star Wars. Both are still owned by their license holders, yet have had successful games made out of them. Of course, I wonder if the fact that the same company that made the games was the one to work with the license holders...

What you might want to do is talk to some of the empire-building game makers (like Impressions Games) and see if they'd be interested in doing an Empire-builder using the Gloranthan universe... while they probably won't go for it, it opens the door for future communications, and I think that's what today's game companies need.

-John