Re: Re: Problems with visiting a northwestern kingdom

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:54:40 -0800 (PST)

What have you hit that was new for you?

In a recent game I hit a couple of things that hadn't happened with me before. The one that sticks in my mind is this......

I had two clans of the colymar end up declaring feud with us fairly early on�-not from anything we did, just bad relations that got worse through neglect. That was a small first, and not a big deal, but then it took a turn for the interesting. Their tribe came collecting tribute just as we were working on our own tribe making. We paid them in full, glad that we'd have our own tribe soon so they'd leave us alone. Then they (the tribe) attacked us, two seasons later! Although we were a peace clan without all that much in the way of war blessings we somehow won�a combination of a war leader with heroic combat, burning four extra magic points, and pure blind luck, I think. I did go back and re-play that turn a few times to verify that this was a triggered event, not random. It happened at the same point each time. Oh, and on every replay we got crushed�even when using the Raven Banner we won only pyrrhic victories, with the deaths and wounds looking totally crippling (in one case we had zero weapon thanes available when our tribe making moot happened immediately afterwards). It is the only game in which the Colymar have attacked us except for when we refused to pay tribute�and it is certainly the only time that we�ve defeated them!

There are also a couple of things I�ve had happen only once, like Saraska ending up as a bandit, having the weapon thane who is trying to avoid fighting the uroxi end up frozen in ice (or something like that), making peace with the trolls, and meeting the strange hand shaped wizard in snake pipe hollow. I�m not quite sure what I did to end up with any of those (except the peace with trolls, it is triggered off of tribe making).

What I find overall though is that each clan seems to play out differently overall. It is a mix of the leaders we get, the initial geography, the chance of events, and of course my own approach. My current clan, for example, may have record difficulty in tribe making. There are only eight other eligible clans, two of which we are feuding with and don�t want to make peace with, and a third with which I doubt we�ll come to terms (it is the early arriving clan, that always wants you to declare war on the beast folk. I just don�t see the value in making a new enemy like that!). Which gives us five clans to try and persuade to form a tribe, and it will be a pretty motley collection at best.

For what it is worth, my favorites for tribe making are the war rock clan (our fighters get better), the elmal clan (our fighters get better), the vingans (they give and give!), and the earth temple clan (if we don�t have the secrets to the ernalda and uralda myths). I don�t like the pottery clan (just annoying), the early-arriving clan (don�t want to fight the beast folk), or the fertile fields clan (there is a bug in the game, so that the �deal� on grain prices actually ends up being negative as they are divided by two). Most of the rest seems to balance off reasonably for me.

Regards;

Bryan
--- roger_ducasse <murometz_at_...> wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > Barry
> >
> > >I'm doing a long game, in the second part, and have gotten the
> > >important message to travel to a northwest kingdom this year. I
> go to
> > >Tarth, sending my best explorer, a Vinga. She comes back later
> that
> > >year with stories of a new ruler, and remarks of how unruly my
> people
> > >were. But the next year, my tribal and clan leader tells me that
> it
> > >was a shame we never visited a northwestern kingdom, and that
> there's
> > >a feeling we may have missed than we realized.
> >
> > Looking at the code, I think we may have missed a couple places
> this
> > is supposed to be tracked. It looks like if you travel in specific
> > years, it might exhibit this problem (which is probably why we
> didn't
> > find it, nor did Bryan -- most years you will satisfy the omen by
> > exploring Tarsh).
> >
> > I don't know, chalk it up to obscure omens. May be your clan
> elders
> > read them wrong :-)
> > --
> >
> > David Dunham A Sharp, LLC +1 206 783 7404
> > The Opal outliner is now available! <http://a-sharp.com/opal/>
> >

> Thanks for replying, David. It's been an unusually long game, with
> a huge tribe, a very large clan, and several incidents I've only
> read about and never seen, before. Hopefully, the problem won't
> repeat. I'll whinge, wail and whine up here if it does. ;)
>
> Barry Brenesal

Have a burning question?