XP troubles once more

From: Kaj Sotala <Tspro_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:21:19 +0300

I'm not getting King of Dragon Pass to run under Windows XP. I have tried setting it to both Win 95 and Win 98 compatibility modes (and, out of sheer desperation, also the Win 2000 compatibility mode), and I've set Mtplay95.exe to run under compatibility mode as well, with no luck. When run from the CD, it starts up to the image of the people on horseback and Kero Fin in the background, but no music plays and the "New Game / Restore Game / Tutorial" links don't show up. It gets stuck there until Ctrl-Alt-Del:ed.

When run from the hard drive, with the 1.7 update installed, I don't even get that far. If I mark the "640x480 colors" checkbox from the compatibility tab, there's a brief flash which I assume to be that program starting up and terminating instantly.

I also tried running the game in Safe Mode - for some reason, it does work there. However, since SM is built not to load any sound drivers, I'd have to play the game without the music, which would rob it from half its atmosphere.

--
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~tspro1/ | http://xuenay.livejournal.com/

Organizations worth your time:
http://www.singinst.org/ | http://www.crnano.org/ | http://lifeboat.com/