Something we might want to track...

From: Henk Langeveld <hlangeveld_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 02:03:22 +0200

This looks promising.

Tilted Mill is the company of Chris Beatrice and friends. They've recently reacquired the rights to their creation 'Children of the Nile'.

Today they announced 'Hinterland', a combination of town building and RPG, wich in my opinion should appeal to most people on this list.

The first thing I thought was - could this game engine be used for a KoDP2?

I quote two paragraphs from today's announcement. The idea of letting your character go on an adventure for the benefit of their community sounds very gratifying.

I've got no idea if they will deliver what I hope they will, but I like the tone of this announcement.

http://www.tiltedmill.com/hinterland/

[...]

Hinterland gives depth and context to the RPG experience, by allowing you to do something more meaningful with the spoils from your RPG adventures. Rather than just re-invest in yourself, you build something much bigger than yourself, that 'other character' - your village and its people. Thus the city building feeling of ownership becomes intertwined with your RPG character while at the same time creating a more seamless or consistent world, something that is always a goal of ours when making a game.

[...]

Over the years of working together we also realized that we all feel that many of our favorite moments in games are starting new characters, or setting out in a fresh unknown land, and Hinterland focuses on this by keeping the scale of items, resources and characters very intimate... almost humble. A strong farmer could be an invaluable asset in early combat encounters, but losing him could be disastrous when it comes time to feed your people. In fact, to ensure that this experience is as fun as possible, when you have started to peak out, you win and are encouraged to play again! To support this we ensure you can't exploit load and saving, the games are fairly short (under 6 hours) but very, very random in terms of replayabilty.

Cheers,
Henk