Re: Open source?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 17:42:31 -0700

Alex

>Internationalisation - change the text for different languages.

IIRC, there are something like 450000 words in KoDP -- more than most novels. Everyone who approached us to sell a localized version decided it was too great an effort.

>Narration - have actors read the menu text aloud, much more dramatic!

Keep in mind that not only are there 450000 words, but almost everything you see is composed using placeholders. As in the example

text: "<d3:things have gone from bad to worse/this clan has headed downhill/our reputation has suffered>. Our friends the <otherclan.plural> <d4:ridicule our ancestors/tell jokes about us as part of their holy day ceremonies/compare us unfavorably with their livestock/mock us at every chance they get>.

or worse,

text: <c> patiently addressed each of their complaints. <he/she> exposed each one as an exaggeration or misunderstanding, until even <complainer> reaffirmed

Note that the last one is not even the complete text, it keeps going. Is it really going to sound good when recorded in bits and glued back together?

--

David Dunham     A Sharp, LLC
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com