Re: Re: Open source?

From: Robert McArthur <rjmcarthur_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 23:06:01 +1000

Kaj Sotala wrote:
> I'm pretty sure David meant "the technical details are pretty serious,
> because they prevent the game from being recompiled and run from the
> source. Thus they prevent one possible goal of making the game open
> source: having more people play the game".

Without knowing the code, at least more than has already been shown, I would be remarkably surprised (read: astounded) that there couldn't a) be an interpreter written for the code, and/or b) a converter written to a current language.

I agree with you this technical issue doesn't matter for at least one reason for going OS - that is for the community and fan-base to see what they've been playing, and possibly have an *option* of assisting development, or doing something more with, the absolutely wonderful ideas and amazing system that A-sharp created. As I say, I don't have a problem with A-sharp keeping copyright (though I presume they licensed much of the content from Greg?): OS != free.

Robert