Re: No further updates regarding figuring out game mechanics? <SPOILER>

From: outis02 <uly_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:01:43 -0000

No, I haven't dissappeared. It's just that there isn't a whole lot of activity in this group. I've made some further progress on parsing the savefile, namely some more stuff on tribes and figuring out a few more character traits. But I didn't think them to be significant enough to warrent reposting the new files. As always, I'm happy to share should anyone ask for them.

As for game mechanics, I'm sorry to say that most of these mechanics cannot be revealed by savegame hacking. Savegame data is essentially static, and it doesn't show you how the game interact and arrive with these data.

Oh, and there should be a HUGE SPOILER TAG HERE.

> -Certain event choices seem purely random, e.g. getting windlords to help against ice demons, sometimes fails, sometimes suceeds, and i cant figure out what, if anything, affects it other than a random dice roll.

Yes, there's a lot of randomness in KoDP. There are probably many factors that effect the likelihood of any event outcome, but I suspect that pure randomness ultimately plays a relatively huge role. There are of course two treasures that amplify or diminish the effect of randomness in the game.

> -Certain events never seem to suceed(that guy who wants your help to do a hero quest to bring peace or something, he always seems to fail)

Not sure which guy you're talking about, but yes some choices do have a 100% failure rate.

> -Lots of treasures with incredibly vauge descriptions.

Go look for treasure lists online. Of course there are also a lot of treasures that are probably just dead weight in terms of game mechanics. These treasures tend to have "vague" descriptions.

> -Game bugs like a clan being too far away for you to raid and no way to "get closer" as it were(nevermind that theres this huge open space between that you can send out settlers to...oh wait theres no such option)...and the best part is they can raid you despite you nto being able to raid them.

Whether a clan is close or far from you seems to be determined from gamestart. The "near" area roughly correspond to the upper-central portion of the inhabitable Dragon Pass, but not exactly.

> -Heroquests, random failing on no fault of your part

Yes, but they do say that HQ is inherently dangerous.

> I just feel the game would be more fun if you could UNDERSTAND some of the stuff going on.

I agree, but for everyone of us who want to understand better, there are probably 5 more who prefer not to.

> -Is it possible to get the ducks in your tribe...? They dont seem to be useful for anything except "raid them!" followed by "instant death"

As far as I know, No, ducks can't join your tribe. The best you can do is to have them enter a "special alliance" with your tribe.

Oh, on the subject of ducks. Someone, who had received a code snipet from A#, had mention that there is a "duck clan attitude" character trade. I've tried to test this several ways, but can never confirm this. I would really appreciate it if I could get to see the code myself.

> -Are dwarves useful for...anything at all...?Aside from one random trade event, finding the dwarves do not appear to unlock anything except another race capable of causing instant death.

Pretty much it.

> -Why can NPC tribal kings declare war on enemy races(beastmen, dragon newts, etc) but yours cant?

You can declare war on certain races in some events.

> -If you are in a tribe, do you still die if one of the enemy races pull the instant death event? Or does your tribe fight it out? I was hoping the latter...would be better than "oh look you died, your tribe didnt care"

I'm not sure, but I thought in either case you had the choice of struggling on if your clan is not completely wiped out.

> -What is the point of the shaman prophecies event? It never seems to do anything, the prophecies are always false(as stated by one of your advisors), you can never find the shaman, etc, etc.

No point as far as I know. I never bothered with them.

> -Can you actually find a permanent wife for the ugly man event?

No.

> -Is there any point to giving the quivin mountains wyrm food? It just says that it wont forget us, but nothing happens.

It probably improves dragonewt relations, but otherwise no idea.