Re: No further updates regarding figuring out game mechanics? <SPOILER>

From: outis02 <uly_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 23:01:56 -0000

> -Black horse troop, 40+ years since i encountered them, invited them, and they still are not showing up in my tula. I know theres an option to send weaponthanes off to train with them, is it possible to get any benefit out of this? It seems they just die all the time.

**Yes, if you send troops to train with the black horse troop, they WILL die. There is no positive outcome from this option.

> -Theres a holy warrior who comes to ask you to support him in performing a heroquest to unite dragon pass because orlanthi are fighting orlanthi. Has anyone managed to get this one to suceed, at all?

**If you're referring to the Elmali that wants to fight Orlanth, then NO, there's no way he would succeed. Perhaps it just goes to show that Elmal are bound to be subservient to Orlanth.

> -Im giving an outrageous amount of gifts to enemy clans that are not feuding with me...(i find it odd that they WONT feud with me actually). They toast my gifts, but their clan name color stays the same, and as far as i can tell the relationship doesnt improve at all. Bug?

**What do you mean by "enemy clan"? How are they enemy if they aren't feuding with you? Anyway, the clan relations are rated from +100 to -100. How much you gain from giving gifts depend on the value of the gift and the skill of the emissary, but the most you can gain from one mission seems to be somewhere around +30. If you're doing something negative at the same time, the relation may never rise to friendly.

> -Beastmen valley, is there any point to this place? I did manage to get a "befriend beastmen community" event once, but the rest are simply "minotaur rape".
**There are three treasures to be had here.

> -Is there any truth to the rumour that vingans/odalaya make better explroers?
**No idea, and nearly impossible to test.

> -Sometimes when you force an enemy clan off their tula, they resettle somewhere far away enough(not adjacent to your tula). They can raid you but you cant raid them back. Its a very annoying bug since you cant do anything about them.

**I don't know how this works either. If you're in a tribe, you can raid anyone, but otherwise your targets are limited to "near" clans and feuds. Presumably the AI doesn't follow this rule.

> -Where on the map are the horse spawn? Praxians, etc are clearly labeled, but the horse spawn...?

**The southern half of the western map border.

> -Are enemy casualties in battles tracked for stuff like horse spawn attacks?

**Hmm, not sure, but I would think so. Casualties are tracked to a certain degree for clans, and the horse spawns are also a clan. This can be tested, but I haven't the time... If you want to do this I can send you the latest save file templates.

> -Has anyone managed to get any of the trainers to work? Despite supposedly being for 1.7, they do absolutely nothing for me.

**Never tried. Don't plan to.

> -Vingans can apparently sub for Orlanthi in Orlanthi hero quests, are there any other deities that can sub for otehr deities?

**No. Vingans are basically female versions of Orlanthi.

> -What can you get from exploring the dragon newt wildlands? I know you can get the silver dragon statue(first event), and theres a random event for another treasure, but the rest seems to be "random loot" that pisses off an instant death race.

**As with Beast Valley: three treasures. No other events, though.

> -Barley, wheat, rye, whats the difference really?

**Barley benefits from Ernaldan blessings, wheat adds to your trading attractiveness, and rye is bad-harvest-proof. At least that's what I've been lead to believe.

> -Sheep, how am i supposed to increase their size? You cant actually steal them or anything. Oh and for some reason during sacred time overview, when i mouse over pastures it keeps saying my herds are overcrowded and malnourished, which is silly because i have more than double the pasture amount that my advisors are recommending...probably another bug...

**Yes, sheep is quite problematic. If you have only a few shrines and temples, you need never worry about sheeps; the game will pretty much manage it for you. I've actually managed to build every single shrine/temple/great temple, without cheating, and sheep becomes a huge problem. The sheep you gain from raids is usually too few to make any difference. So outside of herd magic and ring member skills, there is basically no way you can influence your sheep flock.

As for sheep overcrowding: the pasture that your ring advises is only the land required to maintain the current flock. It does not take into account the pasture needed for the flock to grow, hence the overcrowding.

One thing that I'm quite puzzled about, though, is that it seems the sacred time report on sheep flock size is bugged. In several of my games, I've noticed that the report consistantly say that the flock is shrinking ("you have xxx less sheep"), even when the flock size is stable. I suspect that the report is always comparing the current post-shrine-sacrifice flock size to last year's pre-shrine-sacrifice flock size, hence it always comes up to a loss.

> -Another possible bug, my carls wont go above discontented. Admittedly i am "breaking" the game by trying to stay as large pop size as possible, which basically means giving gifts everytime you get the "our noble houses arent on the ring" event.

**Yes, the carls' mood can be quite fickle, but overcrowding is a pretty big negative factor. I'm not sure about this, but being short-handed also seems to negatively impact carls' mood. Even if you have enough thralls to make up the labour requirement, it seems not to mitigate the mood hit. So thrall-based economy isn't going to make the happiest clan.