Re: Exploring Everything

From: Michael Akinde <michael.yahoo_at_...>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 23:42:34 +0200

Hi,

It may be possible, though I don't think I have ever succeeded in doing so (the Troll area and the Beast area are typical problems).

More importantly, though - is it interesting? The way the map is filled out, this would be a fairly hard achievement - and not for any good reasons. Getting this achievement would be a chore, and adds nothing to the gameplay.

My rule of thumb for good achievements design: they should either reward the player for excellent/exceptional gaming in thread with the gameplay or encourage the player to explore alternative gameplay paths. The "explore everything" achievement does neither. I'd suggest either dropping it, or making it significantly simpler and/or more directed (e.g., identify a number of landmarks, limited percentage of the map, etc).

Regards,

Michael A.